Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Memories of being 7

My education career came to soon to my vagabond days and I had to settle into a structured day. I remember my first teacher as if I had just spent time with her today. Tall elegant, her brown hair pulled into a bun and a string of pearls about her neck. Her big smile, yes Ms Grace Boswell. But even in school where I advance quickly and devoured books by mind always returned to my little world around our house and I couldn't wait to get home,
The world outside our little one bedroom house, across from the movie drive in. In our front yard we had a huge tree that held our tree house. It was easy to hear and many a night we sat in our tree my brother and I and watched movies on Friday night.
I played in cotten fields and chicken coops and romped with our stray dog Butch. He ran with me, collapsed with me and licked my toes and made me laugh. That old yellow dog I loved so much I saw again many years later in the face of Old Yeller.
Awe life was good at 7.

No comments:

Post a Comment