Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Beginning Series of Memories of my Life Age 5

Hog rendering day was fun. As they butchered the hogs to hang in the smokehouse, I learned at an early age the use of every part was important. From the boiling pot to render the fat and lye into soap and candles to the butchering section, everyone had a job.
We all gathered in the side yard, my great grandmother was blind, but she sat by the pot and
stirred with a huge wooden paddle.
My dad and grandpa did the deadly deed.
I and my brother usually stayed in the side yard listening to the squeals and hating it. These were sows I had probably rode or hung around there necks loving them.
But at a certain time we were called over and we got to cook the tails over the fire and the crunchy treat was indeed the highlight of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment